Many thanks!

I admit to having been in the dumps for many weeks.

The autoworkers I am close to pound away at me that "Change", reform, revolution, that even the weakest of rebellions for Solidarity are hopeless...that all our friends have given up and that all is lost. And I mean to tell you good folks, Obama's Auto Committee is a depressingly bad joke!

So I thank Bob Hanten, President of Solidarity Financial, and Chesterton Society Mover and Shaker, for his yeoman work in organizing the 1st Annual Minnesota Chesterton Conference, "Eaten Alive", at St. John's University yesterday for giving me new life!

Thank you Bob for bringing John Medaille to St. John's where at least 100 good folks could be inspired by him, Dale Ahlquist, Daniel Finn, Dr. Arthur Hippler, Joseph Pearce and yourself.

Most of all thank you Bob for somehow allowing me to luck out and sit in front of a brilliant kid named Adam who is studying Theology and Economics at St. John's who proved to me, along with a whole lot of other youngsters, that Solidarity and love for the Poor can never die.

I will write more about what I think this conference and its Solidarity connections might mean for autoworkers as soon as I can get caught up on a few other things.
I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for the inspiration as early as possible!

God bless you all!

8 comments:

Theodosius Sunday, September 20, 2009 at 10:47:00 AM CDT  

I am excited to hear all about the going on in the Northern part of the country (the conference). I hope we will see some footage on you tube, like we did at the Nassau event. I wish I could have been there. I am trying to arrange for Dale to come speak near my hometown and get people to read Chesterton.

Best Wishes,

Anonymous,  Monday, September 21, 2009 at 7:35:00 AM CDT  

Tom, I too enjoyed it, sorry did not get a chance to talk more to you, day was great but a real swirl.....hopefully, my video (I was the fellow in blue suit, red tie and a long cord) will turn out ok, first talk wish I had expanded lenses a bit, missed some of improtant graphs, missed most of Dale's excellant talk, operator and electrical problems......will email Dale some pics soon, majority of video will have to figure how to transfer from 8mm-digital, if anyone wants a VHS copy, email me at distributistparty@yahoo.com....Dale stated CDs soon to be for sale through Chesterton Society.....

Chris Campbell
Distributistparty.bravehost.com

Tom Laney Monday, September 21, 2009 at 9:54:00 AM CDT  

Thanks Chris and Theo. It really was an inspirational day! Everyone was terrific and they are already planning another for Duluth next year.

We (my family) recently donated Chesterton's Collected Works (as available from the American Chesterton Society) to my hometown library in memory of our parents.

Dale Ahlquist spoke at the event and could now be elected Mayor of Prescott, Wisconsin. People just loved him for some reason!

Anonymous,  Monday, September 21, 2009 at 11:44:00 AM CDT  

Tom,

look forward to some great conferences in the future.......I think the winds have changed a bit and possibly, people make be more open minded....

Chris Campbell
distributistparty.bravehost.com
http://distributistparty.bravehost.com/

Tom Laney Monday, September 21, 2009 at 6:51:00 PM CDT  

Yes, I think that's right Chris. As a result of the St. John's meeting, my brother, nephew and I are assembling a small group of family and friends to read a Chesterton work each month and have dinner over it.

I'm an old guy but I think we can interest some youngsters, some active autoworkers in enjoying something like this.

afitz211,  Monday, September 21, 2009 at 9:09:00 PM CDT  

The conference was a really good time for me as well. I definitely enjoyed myself. I'm glad that we could all be an inspiration to you. Good luck with the auto-workers and life, it was nice to meet you this weekend.

Sincerely,
Afitz211 (Adam)

P.S. For the record I'm not studying economics right now (though in essence I think we can say we all study economics (though not formally) if we read Chesterton and observe human nature. Because all economics is is studying human nature and the nature of transactions. :)

Grizzlebeard Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 3:37:00 PM CDT  

Thanks for coming, John. It was great meeting you, especially after reading your book. We are already planning next year's conference, though I don't know for sure where it will be (Duluth?) or the topic.
Ted

Chris Campbell Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 11:56:00 AM CDT  

Ted, thanss for confernce and for taking my pic w/Joseph Pearce, appreciate it!!!

Distributistparty.bravehost.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP